August 29, 2010

Summer at the Shipp's

So we've had a busy summer (that's my excuse for not updating since early June!)

Christina came to visit at the end of June and we had a girls trip to Chicago. We also explored Dixon a little and vegged out on the couch reading books. We did more I'm sure but it was 2 months ago -- do you expect me to remember that far back?? Christina managed to get us all addicted to collecting smashed pennies.

The girls with the Holy Cow at Harey Carey's


Last weekend in June
We had a Smidt family reunion (Scott's mom's side) and had a camping trip to Sugarbottom near Iowa City in June. Such an awesome campground - best bathrooms and showers I've seen at a campground. I would go back again. However it thunderstormed everynight and Scott and I do not have luck with tents and rain so of course our tent flooded and a pole broke. I had Ragbrai flashbacks and slept in the van aka sat and listened to the radio.


A shot of the campsite - that lovely waterproof tent is not ours.

July 3rd
Scott and I participated in the Reagan Run 5K - Scott finished in exactly 25:00 and I finished in 46:23. I walked with a coworker and we had a good chatting while we walked. It was a hot day!


We didn't have any spectators to take pictures of us this year but I found this picture of me and Judy walking. I'm in the blue shirt and grey pants and Judy has on black pants and a white shirt with blue sleeves. Look at our walking skills.


August Pigman

Scott particpated in the Pigman Long Course Triathlon. Swim 1.2 miles, Bike 56 miles (what!?!) and run 13 miles (yikes!). He did really good up until mile 8 on the run when his knee decided to be done. He went to the doctor and a knee specialist and they said to keep being active until it becomes a big enough problem that he wants surgery. Then there's some tissue they can cut out of his knee.

Scott Pre Race

Scott coming out of the water

Scott coming back on the bike ride

Scott leaving on the run to return in a van


Finally last weekend Scott participated in his first "Criterium." From what I understand this is a bike race where you bike on a closed course (public streets with barricades up) in a circle for a long time and whoever doesn't get passed and crosses first wins. Scott got 17 out of 28. He got lapped by the first place guy at the finish line.



2 comments:

Scott and Connie said...

I am excited that you guys are both being so active and getting in some fun exercise. Keep up the good work.

Mary, Pixie, Elizabeth said...

Great job. Would you mind emailing us some of these pictures for Grandma's calendar? Thanks!